International Political Economy
International double degree program
Photo: Brooke Cagle (Unsplash)
Photo: Brooke Cagle (Unsplash)
International Political Economy (Master)
About the study program
Photo: Felix Wesch
- Double degree program with the University of Texas at Dallas
- Degree: Master of Science
- Program length: 4 semesters (about 2 years)
- Program start: winter semester
- Application period: 01.05.2023 – 23.08.2023
- Admission mode: Aptitude assessment procedure
Structure of the study program
In the following, we assume that you have an economics background:
1st and 2nd semester: Marburg
- You choose two courses in the field of international economics, for instance, covering open-economy macroeconomics and finance or the rational choice approach to studying political institutions.
- Two courses on research methods help advance your research skills
- By selecting five lecture modules and one seminar (Economics Electives) you can focus on those areas of economics you are particularly interested in
3rd and 4th semester: Dallas
- In Dallas, you study two courses on international politics
- Depending on your interests, you choose one further course in political science (Political Science Electives).
- In preparation for your master’s thesis, you will also take a research module in Dallas.
- Finally, you write your master’s thesis. The thesis is your opportunity to apply the skills you have been taught and demonstrate how much you have learned.
A combination of international economics and international politics
The program is designed to combine the analytical strength of economics with global insights from political science. You will acquire the knowledge and skills expected of an economist and, at the same time, gain expertise in international relations, issues of development, security, and international policy.
If you have an economic background, your studies will be structured as follows:
- International Economics (12 CP) 10% 10%
- International Politics (20 CP) 17% 17%
- Research Methods (24 CP) 20% 20%
- Economic Electives (36 CP) 30% 30%
- Political Science Electives (10 CP) 8% 8%
- Master Thesis (18 CP) 15% 15%
Photo: Farmtrue (Unsplash)
What can you do after graduation?
Study in one of the most popular student cities
Marburg is located in the center of Germany and is one of the most popular student cities. Of the approximately 77,000 inhabitants, about one in three studies at the Philipps University. This high density of young students characterizes the entire cityscape. Countless pubs, restaurants, and cafés await you in our beautiful old town. Most of our students prefer to live in flat-sharing communities.
Photos: Albert Meier (1), Dominik Schöberl (2,3,4), Felix Wesch (5,6)
Video: Philipps University of Marburg
Facts about Marburg
Bars, restaurants and cafés
Where you can learn
Many of our students like to study in one of our libraries. There you will find silence, large desks, and free Wi-Fi. Both libraries are within walking distance of the lecture hall building, so you can easily study there between classes. Free lockers are available.
Photo: Leon Pozzi
The Business & Economics Library
Photo: Dominik Schöberl
The University Library
Our new University Library opened in 2018 and is one of the most modern libraries in Germany. There is an inexpensive café in the building, and the canteen is also only a 5-10-minute walk away. The University Library is located right next to a beautiful botanical garden where you can sunbathe during the summer.
Become active and make friends
The orientation week
At the beginning of the first semester, the student council arranges the orientation week. During this week, you will get to know your fellow students, the city, and the university. The agenda includes a city rally, a breakfast with the professors, a faculty party, and many other activities. Experienced students will help you with questions you may have. There is no better way to start your studies!
Photo: Karolin Spies
Get to know people
Sign up for your courses
At the University of Marburg, you can choose between more than 100 sports. Not only popular sports like soccer, volleyball, and tennis are part of our course program but also many less-known sports. We even offer, for example, ski excursions and sailing courses. For many students, our fitness room is a great alternative to a gym membership.
Photo: Ildar Garifullin
You can engage in one of several student initiatives and gain valuable experience for your future. Since most student initiatives have a distinct community life, they are a perfect opportunity to meet other students.
The Student Council
The Finance Club
And many more!
Practical orientation is a priority for us
Guest lectures & workshops
- Each semester we are visited by many attractive employers
- Examples from the past:
The Federal Cartel Office, Deutsche Börse AG, McKinsey, Amazon, Daimler, and many more
- This is a great opportunity to make contacts for your career start
Excursions to international companies
- Get exciting insights into companies
- For example, we visited the Google headquarters in Hamburg (including dinner together and an evening in the city)
- Excursions are an excellent opportunity to get to know other students
Great employers nearby Marburg
- Leading pharmaceutical companies directly in Marburg (e.g., BioNTech)
- Important automotive suppliers and many „hidden champions“
- Frankfurt is nearby. With our student ticket, you can take the InterCity Express (ICE) and all other trains for free.
Visit the Silicon Valley
Photo: Gregory Axmann
Prof. Armbrüster about the Silicon Valley excursion
In May 2018 and May 2019, we visited Silicon Valley with about 60 students. The excursion aimed to learn about the characteristics of start-ups from the information technology sector and to get to know the atmosphere of the Valley. Through several talks by founders, technology specialists, venture capitalists, and university professors, the participants could gain deep insights into the functioning of start-ups and the prevailing corporate culture.
As the excursion received excellent feedback, we plan to offer it regularly after the pandemic.
Are you interested in founding a startup?
We support your idea!
Startups are an essential driver of technological and societal progress. MAFEX is an institute at the University of Marburg that supports you in starting your own business. No matter whether you need support with the development of a promising idea, the business plan, financing, or the choice of an appropriate organizational form. We can even help you with your patent application.
Consulting & lectures
Great success stories
Photo: Albert Meier
Follow us on Instagram!
On Instagram, we regularly share content about studying and living in Marburg. You are welcome to follow us if you want to get authentic impressions.
Any remaining questions?
Ask our Student Advisory Service
If you still have questions regarding the International Political Economy study program, the Student Advisory Service is pleased to help you.
Your contact persons
Mr. Tazkeer Azeez Chaudhuri
Phone: +49 (0) 6421 28-25645
Photo: Kai Brenneke
What are you waiting for?
The International Political Economy study program gives you the attractive opportunity to receive an internationally accredited double degree within four semesters. You will study at the Philipps University of Marburg and the University of Texas at Dallas. This program is unique as it combines modules from International Economy and International Politics. Stand out and lay the foundation for your international career!
July 15, 2023